When a cold or flu strikes and you get the chills that won’t go away (as in, no-matter-how-many-blankets-you-cover-yourself-in-you-are-still-freezing, chills), the only thing that will take them away is a warm bath. Soaking in warm water is a tried and true method of relieving cold and flu symptoms. The warm water relaxes your body and the steam helps clear your sinuses. These bath salts give the bath an added boost to help you feel even better!
What is Epsom Salt?
Actually, the name Epsom “Salt” is a total misnomer. It contains NO salt! It is actually magnesium sulfate and the crystals just resemble salt. Because the magnesium from Epsom Salt is absorbed through the skin, it raises the body’s overall magnesium levels. There are many benefits to adding Epsom Salt to a bath.
Benefits of Bath Salt
- Improve sleep, especially in children
- Headache relief
- Better nutrient absorption
- Stress relief
- Relaxes the body
- Reduce muscle tension and aches
- Softens skin
- Relieves congestion
2 cups Epsom Salt (where to buy Epsom Salt)
1/2 cup Baking Soda (where to buy Baking Soda)
15 drops Lavender Essential Oil (where to buy Lavender Essential Oil)
15 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil (where to buy Eucalyptus Essential Oil)
- Mix all ingredients and store in an air-tight glass container.
- Use about 1/4 cup each time you take a bath.
- For young kiddos who may drink the bath water, I recommend leaving out the essential oils!
- Epsom salt has a laxative effect, so watch kiddos to make sure they are not drinking too much!
Do you have remedies for a cold or flu? Share them below! I’d love to know!