I love winter! I’m usually the last one in from playing outside and the last one to complain that it is too cold. (Don’t think I’m some sort of hero…I’m the first to complain that it’s too hot in the summer 😉 )
While I love snowmen, snow angels and snowboarding, I don’t love everything that winter brings…like chapped skin. Or cracked skin.
We have tried everything to help our skin from hydrating ourselves to using humidifiers. Actually, I wrote a little post on why we use humidifiers if you are interested. Everything seems to help but sometimes skin just need a protective barrier.
My family has a unique ability to try out healing salves since we have people who have chapped skin, eczema, psoriasis and even diaper rash. And we have tried lots of salves and lotions! Some work better than others. Some cost a fortune! Thankfully, this one is affordable and works amazing.
Honestly, I was just hoping it would be as good as some other “natural” salves we have tried. But it is sooooo much better! I couldn’t be more pleased!
My husband just had another bout of psoriasis on his hands (which he does every winter) and ended up with a big, bleeding crack. He tried out this salve and said it was the best he has ever tried (which is saying something)! Then Brynlee had diaper rash (she still wears a diaper at night) and it worked like a charm. Also, my hands are softer than they have been in years. No joke!
My goal was for this salve to be a super thick, healing lotion. If you are looking for a lotion that is light and absorbs quickly, this isn’t it! If you are looking for a lotion that stays put and moisturizes leaving your skin feeling super soft, you have come to the right place!
One of the ingredients in this lotion/salve is avocado oil. I know this isn’t a oil that is commonly used for skin care, but it should be!! I’m going to sound like a broken record advocating avocado oil agin, but I really can’t get over what a wonderful oil this is! It is intensely nourishing because of its high concentration of healthy fats and antioxidants. It penetrates deep into skin to impart its nutrients and rejuvenate skin. Avocado oil is one of the oils that has the highest amount of the antioxidant vitamin E so it is wonderful at tightening skin, healing and also preventing aging. Avocado oil is intensely moisturizing, but it also non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores) making is suitable for all skin types. Even sensitive skin and acne-prone skin benefits from avocado oil.
How to Make Moisturizing Salve
1/2 cup Avocado Oil (where to buy avocado oil)
1/4 cup Coconut Oil (where to buy coconut oil)
1/4 cup Beeswax pastilles (where to buy beeswax)
1 teaspoon Vitamin E Oil (where to buy vitamin E oil)
(optional) Essential Oils or scent like Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon of vanilla leaves a light scent)
1. Combine avocado oil, coconut oil and beeswax (do NOT add vitamin E oil) in a double boiler. TIP: If you don’t have a double boiler, you can simply put the ingredients into a heat-resistant glass jar or bowl and set it in a sauce pan. Just make sure that the jar/bowl is high enough that boiling water won’t get into it. Also, put a washcloth or thin towel into the pan underneath the jar or bowl to minimize rattling.
2. Bring the water to a boil and continually stir the ingredients until they are melted. The beeswax takes a little while.
3. Once everything is melted, add vitamin E oil and any essential oils or vanilla you are using.
4. Pour it into whatever container you are using for storage. This is a thick salve and will not work in a pump bottle! A small mason jar works great for this (where to buy small mason jars), or you can even re-use mint tins.
5. Unlike other DIY lotions that contain water, this is made with all shelf-stable ingredients so it will stay good for a while! It is best to use it within 6 months for optimal moisturizing benefits.
How do you deal with winter’s chapped hands? Share below!