One of my biggest worries as my family and I switched to more natural living was my hair. I know that’s superficial, but I was really worried that I wouldn’t find anything that worked! I really need some product in my hair that calms it down, otherwise it is unruly! Throughout my life my hair has changed constantly. Thanks hormones. It has ranged from super curly to barely wavy. At the moment it is growing out curlier with lots of gray (ahem, silver) mixing in, giving it a coarser texture. Actually, it’s pretty out of control frizzy if I just let it run a mock.
Smoothing, Moisturizing, Shaping
Flaxseed gel has been amazing for my hair. It is honestly the best gel I’ve ever had. It doesn’t leave my hair crunchy but gives it good shape and controls the crazies! Flaxseed also has moisturizing properties which is great since my hair is naturally dry and we live in a dry climate. Some people have even said that they don’t need conditioner if they use this gel. Honestly, that hasn’t been my experience but I hope that’s true for some of you!
3 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Whole Flaxseed
20 Drops Essential Oils (optional) I like sweet orange to give it a fresh smell.
- Put water and flaxseed in a sauce pan.
- Bring it to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until water becomes gel-like.
- Let cool for 1 hour.
- Cover a bowl that is big enough to hold all the gel with a piece of cheesecloth or a thin dishtowel. (don’t use a mesh colander that would only catch the seeds since the gel creates “goopys” [that’s the scientific term] that you don’t want in your gel)
- Pour the entire contents of the pan into the cheesecloth.
- Gather up the corners and gently squeeze the cloth until all the gel has oozed into the bowl.
- Pour or funnel gel into a jar. Add essential oil if you are using it and gently shake.
- Store in the fridge. It will only keep 1-2 weeks because it is all natural and has no preservatives.
- This gel freezes well. I like to split this batch into about 4 jars and freeze 3 of them. That way I only have to make this every 2 months.
- You can adjust the recipe as needed for your hair. Adding more flaxseed or boiling for a longer time will produce a gel that has more holding power. Adding fewer flaxseeds or boiling for a shorter time will make it have less holding power.